TRACING THE STORY OF SALVATION
by Anna L. Liechty and Phyllis Vos Wezeman
This e-book communicates the message of Lent and Easter by using the varied trees found in the Old Testament and the New Testament as a focal point for telling the stories of God's people as they struggle to find faith and hope for life.
Beginning with the "Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil" and the arrival of sin through Adam and Eve, the series traces the sequence of God's plan for our redemption to "Calvary's Tree" and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Each week the story unfolds as a different tree is featured and a new symbol makes the Biblical characters and lessons memorable and meaningful. Through their participation, people of all ages will experience the message of salvation and trace God's action in human history directly to their own branch of the "family tree."
Themes and Scripture passages for Ash Wednesday, the six weeks of Lent, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday include:
- Ash Wednesday - Choices - Genesis 3:16
- First Sunday - Covenant - Genesis 6:14
- Second Sunday - Commandments - Exodus 25:10
- Third Sunday - Connection - Isaiah 11:1
- Fourth Sunday - Challenge - Amos 7:14
- Fifth Sunday - Compassion - Luke 2
- Palm Sunday - Contrasts - John 12:13
- Maundy Thursday - Contentment - Matthew 26:30
- Good Friday - Convictions - Matthew 27:29
- Easter Sunday - Celebration - Matthew 28:5-6
Ten sessions, Worship (including Children's sermons), Nurture (families), Education (Sunday school sessions) and Enhancements (reproducible designs for banners, posters, etc.).